Find Blog Topic Ideas Using Keyword Research
Unless you are a writer or blogger by profession, it can be difficult to come up with blog topic ideas; especially good topics. Outlined in this page are some easy methods to get started with writing blog posts your customers will love.
You can use Google Keyword Planner and in fact, I use Google’s Keyword tool in the video example. It was recorded some time ago when the tool was called Google Keyword External and though the tool has changed, the concept is still relevant today.
A Small Business Guide To Search Engine Marketing
Read this book for free on Kindle Unlimited or buy it now.
[button linking=”new_window” link=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OCYJY4″ align=”left” size=”medium” type=”wide” style=”solid” icon=”shopping-cart” title=”Buy Now”]Buy Now[/button]
There is another free tool I like to use called Keyword Revealer. It also contains a low-cost paid version if you should find the need for it. To use this tool, navigate to their website and sign up for a free account. The free account allows you to search 3 keywords per day. Not to worry, it generates approximately 800 words per search which is plenty and enough to get ideas from. Keyword research is the first step to SEO.
The basic concept is to write about topics people are interested in. If you do a search on a topic you think may be great to write on, you will find out how many people are actually interested in the topic by the number of searches. If no one is searching on a topic, chances are, no one is interested in that topic which means you won’t get any website traffic either to that page. The example below shows how I came up with the topic for this page using keyword research. This article is not exhaustive, but provides a very good basis to build upon.
This tool does a lot more than we will cover in this article, but for now we will just focus on getting blog topic ideas.
See the screenshots below of how to use this tool to generate blog topic ideas.
1. Go to the Keyword Revealer Website and sign up for a free account
2. Once logged in, select Tools > Keyword Tool from the menu
3. Enter a keyword phrase or topic you are interested in writing about in the search box. Then press the Submit button.
4. You will get a list of results like these shown below
Notice how the search results for “selecting a blog topic” shows 0 searches. This would not be a very good article topic. At this point, you can search for a new phrase or use the ideas generated from the search results of 181 terms to create an article topic.
5. A different search generated better results
The next search was performed on the term “blog topic ideas” and it yielded 590 monthly searches. Some experts say that it is best for your search term to yield 1000 or more searches, but in this case and for training purposes, let’s say 590 is sufficient interest. It will be easier to rank at the top of Google. If I want to keep searching for ideas I would follow step 6 below.
6.Next, sort the results
By default only 10 results show at a time. The maximum number of results displayed on a page is 100 rows of results. Change this from 10 to 100 and click the column heading twice for “Monthly Searches” to sort your results in descending order as shown below. This will give you all the results in order by maximum number of searches. You may look through the results to see if there are other ideas that will work for you.
Blog Topic Ideas For Small Business
This section includes blog topic ideas for small business owners. Your customers want to know more about your product or service and you should tell them in the form of blog topics. You can start by creating categories such as Training, Videos, News, Events, etc. Every business has several different areas of interest that relate to customers. Make these your main categories, then develop brainstorm a list of article topics for them.
Here is a list of topics to get you started blogging:
- How To Videos on how to use your product
- Trade Show or Event Photos and information
- Article about a new product or service you offer
- Recognition of an employee
- Press Release or News Segment you were posted in
- Informative articles about your product. For instance a restaurant might disclose little know facts about how healthy their recipes are.
- An Article or video about the history of your company if it is something your customers would be interested in
- Develop a case study of a customer you helped
- Blog about helpful tips your customers can use
- Blog about how your product or service saved time or money for a customer